Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thanksgiving

I am not generally a fan of Thanksgiving. I already eat more than I should. Thanksgiving occurs when I realize it is too late to change my semester plans and I am stuck doing whatever it is I am currently doing until January. It also means Black Friday. I have had to work Black Fridays for the better part of a decade now and I have a hard time celebrating a holiday that has become a prelude to the American tradition of consumerism.

I get the "Be Thankful" thing. But what annoys me is if you don't say specific things it looks like you aren't grateful for those things. I am very grateful for my religion, knowing God loves me, my ability to get an education, my family, my friends and my job. I am so grateful for these things. But let's go further. If we are going to celebrate gratitude than let's at least be creative. So here are some obscure things to be grateful for.

1. The color green. Seriously, can you imagine not having that color?

2. Agatha Christie. Because.

3. Over-the-counter pain killers.

4. Carpet cleaners.

5. Quirky album covers

6. Alarm clocks

7. Brownies-- the mythical beings and the tasty dessert.

8. Ambition

9. SHOES

10. Trash-liners

11. Jane and Cassandra Austen

12. Peter Pan

13. Pillows.

Let's end at thirteen because we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment